Summer Wellness: Hydration and Getting Back on Track After Vacation!
This last Summer Wellness series blog is geared toward getting back on track after vacation and hydration for the summer months ahead!
So vacation is over and maybe you over-indulged in tasty foods and beverages and now you are ready to get back on track! I’m a fan of the 80/20 rule, eat well 80% of the time and leave room for sweets, parties and gatherings 20% of the time. If you’ve been a little out of balance while on vacation, first remember, it is OKAY. One week of extra treats or cocktails does not define your overall health picture, just don’t let that week slip into an entire season of less healthy lifestyle choices. Here are some tips and tricks to get back on track!
- DON’T restrict your intake, fast or go on a strict diet or juice cleanse.
- DO eat a healthy, well rounded diet with adequate protein and lots of veggies and fruits. DO try to cut down on sugar and alcohol.
- DON’T feel guilty for the indulging on vacation!
- DO make a plan to get back on track! Meal plan and prep so you can more easily make the healthy choices.
- DO get re-hydrated and add some electrolytes for extra hydration. (more on hydration below!)
- DON’T continue to stay up late and sleep in. Try to get back to your normal routine as soon as possible, especially if you’ve traveled several time zones.
- DO prioritize sleep and try to get out and get morning sunshine to help get your circadian rhythm back on track.
- DO get back on track with your supplements if you forgot while on vacation!
- DO exercise and get some good sweat sessions in! Sweat is one of the ways we detoxify and after a vacation that might have included some indulging this is always helpful!
- DO recenter yourself with meditation, mindfulness or prayer and get a daily dose of nature (more on that here).
It is estimated that 60% of men and 40% of women are not getting adequate water intake daily and judging by what I see in practice, I think that is pretty spot on. Water is involved in so many different actions in our body and we are made up of 55-65% water so it is no surprise just how critical adequate hydration is for our health. In a recent research publication looking at 11,000 individuals, dehydration was associated with a 39% increased risk for chronic diseases and a 21% increased risk of early mortality. It also showed that those who were dehydrated had a 50% higher chance of being older than their chronological age (meaning dehydration, literally ages you!). Mild dehydration is also one of the most common causes of daytime fatigue and did you know that even just a body loss of 1-2% impairs mental cognition?
Hydration quick tips
- A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces per day.
- Keep in mind that summer heat and exercise will increase this need.
- Drink 16 oz water with electrolytes upon waking and after coffee to get your day started out nice and hydrated.
- Alternate every couple of plain water servings with water + electrolytes on days with heavy exercise and sweat or being outdoors in the sun.
- If you are feeling thirsty, this means you are already dehydrated.
- Hydration doesn’t have to be just plain water. Think soups, teas, bone broth, high water fruits and vegetables, smoothies and mix it up by having sparkling water or adding fruit, veggies and herbs to make plain water more flavorful.
- Filter your water if you are able to to remove toxins (Environmental Working Group Tap water database can be found here to see how your local drinking water stacks up).
- Electrolyte options:
- BodyBio E-lyte, LMNT, Nuun for sugar free options
- Skratch Labs and Tailwind for added carbohydrates for athletic endeavors
- Homemade electrolyte options:
- Water + pinch of salt + squeeze of lemon/lime juice
- Coconut water + pinch of salt + squeeze of lemon/lime juice
I hope you have been enjoying this Summer Wellness series including this wrap up on hydration and getting back on track after vacation!! To learn more about Wild Rice Wellness and the services we offer visit our Services page!
If you are ready to have a partner in your health and wellness, I am here for you and accepting new patients! Book a FREE 15 minute consultation below!