I don’t know about you but I’ve always hated the “New Year, New You!” ads, as if the “old” you was less than, which is so not true. As a new entrepreneur, I have been working on my mindset and the ups and downs of building this practice. For 2023, I plan to continue to work on my mindset by using some of the above prompts when I find myself dwelling or overthinking things. Next time you catch yourself getting down yourself, try some of these tips to shift your mindset into a more positive space.
And now for the science…
A positive mindset may have many actual health benefits including:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of distress and pain
- Greater resistance to illnesses
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- Better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease and stroke
- Reduced risk of death from cancer
- Reduced risk of death from respiratory conditions
- Reduced risk of death from infections
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
I am working on cultivating a growth oriented mindset which refers to the concept that we can grow and change and adapt to life’s challenges. A growth mindset pushes you to step out of your comfort zone and try new things which in turn leads to neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is the ability for the brain to change when exposed to new things. For quite a while, it was thought that the brain stopped developing and changing at a certain age. New literature suggests that the brain can change at any age. How exciting!!
Examples of a growth mindset include:
- Continuing to learn new things
- Using others accomplishments as inspiration for yourself
- Asking for help when you need it
- Acknowledging failure but not letting it stop you
- Adapting to change
- Trying something that makes you uncomfortable in order to gain a new skill or confidence
Best wishes as we journey into the New Year! If you are looking for a partner in your health and you live in Colorado please reach out and book a free 15 minute consultation to see how I can help!